Tag Archives: 2012

Kayaköy (Livissi) 36.574, 29.0913

Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.
Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.
Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.
Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.Kayaköy (Livissi), Lycia, Turkey.

Livissi, now known as Kayaköy, was an important Greek village in western Lycia, situated just a few miles south of Fethiye in Turkey. Shown on maps from the 17th & 18th Centuries, the village was eventually abandoned at the end of the 1919-1922 Greco -Turkish War as part of a population exchange agreement. The village was intended to be repopulated by Turkish citizens who would relocate from Greece, this didn’t happen and in 1957 an earthquake damaged most of the remaining buildings. Today Kayaköy is a tourist attraction and museum, signposted as a ghost village. It also is the unofficial start point of the Lycian Way, an ancient walkway along the coast of Turkey, the official start of the marked trail being a few miles further south in Ölüdeniz.